21 June 2011

Supanova 2011 preview!

In less than a week the nerd circus will roll into town for this year's Supanova Pop Culture Expo. It's quite impressive how the country has embraced it over the last few years, within four years it's gone from being a bit too uncool for the general populace to a hugely popular and busy event.

Last year I didn't have much interest in the 'Supa-Star' guests, so spent most of my time shopping and taking photos of the cosplayers, but this year the lineup is awesome. Of particular interest to me are Sean Maher (Simon Tamm From Firefly), Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto from Torchwood) and James Marsters (Spike from Buffy). Cary Elwes and Luke Perry were on the original lineup, but when they had to pull out they were replaced by Tom Felton from Harry Potter.  I'm hoping the Felts-hysteria takes some of the heat off the others, I do want autographs, but I'm not massively excited about the thought of lining up for an hour for them. There was like a ten minute line for Karl Urban two years ago, and that was well enough for me. Though Karl was super. I liked him a lot.

Anyway, because I'll be spending quite a bit of my time lining up for stuff and attending 'seminars' (horribly awkward Q&A sessions with the talent), I doubt I'll be taking as many photos as previous years. Will probably take my smaller camera in case of photo-emergency, but I won't be going out of my way.
Just in case I am a bit slack in the photo department, here are a few I was too lazy to post after last year's Supanova.

My main goal for this Supanova was to not spend anywhere near the obscene amount of money I spent on (really awesome) stuff last year, but given it will cost me over $100 just for the autographs (collectively, not individually), I may have to be realistic about how much I'll really be restricting myself. James Masters is doing a concert on the Saturday night, and the novelty factor will be high, so I already have a ticket to that. Also bought a ticket to the Supanova After Party on the Sunday night which essentially involves hanging out with James Marsters & Gareth David-Lloyd. That ticket was a wee bit expensive, but how often will that opportunity present itself? Hopefully there will be free drinks. I'd expect free drinks for the price.

I hope Ianto wears a suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment